State Museum-Reserve Peterhof (Петергоф)

Peterhof is the ceremonial summer residence of Russian emperors in the Suburb of Saint Petersburg on the shore of the Gulf of Finland. The Palace and Garden Complex Peterhof was created in honor of the Russia outlet to the Baltic Sea during the Great Northern War. Peterhof first mentioned in 1705; Tsar Peter the Great took part in the construction of the residence, some drawings and projects with Peter’s revisions are saved till our times.

Peterhof 3

The emperor’s residence became the national museum after the Revolution in 1917; it is one of the most important significant historical sites in Russia.

During World War II the palace and garden were destroyed by bombs almost totally, the reconstruction according to historical drawings and documents began just after the war ended.

Peterhof sights

Upper Garden completes the formal entrance of the residence. In the beginning, the Upper Garden was used in the agricultural; there were growing the vegetables, fruits, and herbs, stocked the ponds with fish. In the 1730th the garden had got a new look – there were placed the sculptures and fountains, the Upper Garden obtained the ceremonial appearance.

Grand Peterhof Palace is the central building of the residence, the grand palace of 300 meters length. In the Peter I times, it was not sizeable two-story building modified multiple times later during the next emperors’ rules in accordance under the inspiration of contemporary architectural style. At the time of the Empress Elizabeth Petrovna, the palace obtained the new floor; interiors were decorated by magnificent golden finished carving and many mirrors in the Baroque. At the XVIII the palace got the Classicism features with molded décor.

The Grand Peterhof Palace was the center of courtly life; there arranged the balls, state receptions, and celebrations.

Museum “Special Treasures” is located in the western wing of the Grand Palace in the “Coat-of-Arms Pavilion.” The museum presents exhibits belonged to the emperors of Russia – the jewelry, applied and decorative art, church plate.

Royal Church Museum is located in the Eastern part of the Grand Peterhof Palace; the Church was consecrated in 1751. The interiors of the church are luxurious and colorful, with large windows. The Church served for the royal family, children of the last Russian Emperor Nicolas II went through the child rite here.

 Grand Cascade is the grandiose fountains complex ahead of the Grand Peterhof Palace.

Grottoes of the Grand Cascade. The Upper and Lower grottoes are the architectural center of the Grand Cascade. The exhibition in the grottoes shows the work of the old fountains masters and fountain systems operating more than two hundred years.

Lower Park was designed upon the regular French parks. The park is zoned by the walkways from the Grand Peterhof Palace and Marly Palace. There are about 150 fountains in the Lower Park; perfect park arrangement created such a way that each walkway leads to any fountain or palace.

Monplaisir Palace is a small country palace of Peter the Great on the shore of the Gulf of Finland influenced by the Holland architecture. The rooms decorated with Western Europe paintings and collection of the Chinese porcelain.

Монплезир в Петергофе Monplaisir  in Peterhof

Catherine Block is a single story building near the Western Gallery of the Monplaisir Palace, used for the high balls and events.

Bathhouse Block is the complex of ceremonial and household rooms near the Monplaisir Palace; the exposition presents the daily life of the court.

Marly Palace is a graceful two-story palace for guests of note. The Palace was restored after the destruction in World War II.

Marly palace in Peterhof

Hermitage Pavilion. Hermitage or «place of seclusion» is the prototype of all further hermitages built in Russia. There are the servant’s halls on the first floor; the second floor is designated for the private time of high-up residents.

Museum of Playing Cards presents more than 10 thousand exhibits from Russia, Europe, and America, exposition tell about the history of playing cards in Russia and global wide.

Historical and Cultural Project “The Court Entertainments” is the history of festivals and entertainments of the court and emperor’s family in Peterhof.

Museum of the Fountain Craft

Museum of the Imperial Yachts

Benois Family Museum – the museum of the artistic family from France.

Museum of Art Collectors presents the private collections donated to the museum.

The architectural and park ensemble Peterhof is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Open hours and price

Operating hours depends on the season, fountains and some pavilions are opened only in a warm season, current status look at the website of the State Museum-Reserve Peterhof

Ticket price

Grand Peterhof Palace 1000 rubles

Upper Garden free charge

Museum of the Playing Cards 500 rubles

Museum “Special Treasure” 500 rubles

Royal Church Museum 500 rubles

Bathhouse Block Museum 500 rubles

Hermitage Pavilion 400 rubles

Marly Palace 400 rubles

Museum in Grottoes of Grand Cascade 500 rubles

Historical and Cultural Project “The Court Entertainment” 500 rubles

Benois Family Museum 250 rubles

Museum of Art Collectors 250 rubles

Museum of Fountain Craft 250 rubles

How to get to the State Museum-Reserve Peterhof

Saint-Petersburg, Peterhof

In the Russian language – Saint-Petersburg, Peterhof

  • From the metro station “Avtovo” (“Автово,” line 1):

Bus 200, 210 to the bus stop “Fountains” (“Фонтаны”)

Shuttle bus K-224, K-300, K-424 to the bus stop “Fountains” (“Фонтаны”)

  • From the metro station “Leninskiy Prospekt” (“Ленинский проспект,” line 1):

Shuttle bus K-103, K-639Б to the bus stop “Fountains” (“Фонтаны”)


State Museum-Reserve Peterhof website in the Russian and English languages


Leave a Reply