history

Vyborg Castle (Выборгский замок)

The Vyborg Castle occupies an area of a small island in the center of Vyborg. The Swedes founded the castle in 1293 during the Third Swedish Crusade. Before the Swedish possession of the land, there were the fortifications of the Karelians devastated by Sweden forces on the island. The Castle became the residence of the vice-king and took of the function of the frontier in the east.

Old castle

In the XV century during the region ruled by Karl Knutsson, who became the King of Sweden, the Castle was significantly reconstructed, the new defensive walls and towers appeared on the island.

The next grand-scale rebuilding took place since the middle of the XVI to the beginning of the XVII century – the walls and towers were streamlined, the tower of St. Olav was demounted to the second growth and built anew.

In 1710 the forces of the Russian Tsar Peter I conquered the fortress. The damaged buildings were restored and repaired, and the Russian castle guard settled the fort.

Heavy fires happened in 1834 and 1856 and damaged the buildings of the Vyborg Castle strongly. Only in 1891-1894 the fortress was renewed by an effort of the Vyborg Castle Military Engineers Department and took on a modern appearance.

From 1918 to 1944 Vyborg (Viipuri) was a part of Finland; the fortress became the 2nd Finish division headquarter. Since 1944 Vyborg return to the Soviet Union, and till 1964 the castle territory was used as the garrison.

In 1964-1970 the Vyborg Castle territory was under archeological and historical researches, in 1970 the local historical museum was opened here.

The Vyborg Castle Sights

  • The Tower of St. Olav, 75 m – the highest building in Vyborg. The lower level is saved from the year of construction (1293); the upper levels were rebuilt several times. The observation deck of the tower overlooks the old town, Vyborg Bay and Karelian Isthmus.
  • The Eastern Building (XV century) – the building for military and administrative purposes. The ground near the Eastern Building is a place for fairs and historical reenactment hold.
  • The Western Building (XIII-XV centuries) – is the main accommodation, the former residence of the Swedish vice-king.
  • The old wine cellar is the museum exposition. The sections of the museum present the history of Swedish period of the Castle, Vyborg in the World War II, Finnish Vyborg, nature of Vyborg and others.
  • Armory (XVI-XIX centuries)
  • The Cold Cellar on the Upper Yard
  • The building was used for administrative purposes and was turned into the prison in the XIX century.
  • Blacksmith’s Yard – the former workshops and dwellings.
  • Arsenals
  • Walls of the fortress (XVI – XVII centuries)
  • Rayskaya (Paradisaical) Tower – the first round shape tower in Vyborg Castle
  • Tower of Sapozhnik (of Shoemaker)
  • Bastions (ruins)
  • Interactive exposition “The Castle of the Knight.”
  • Interactive exposition “Torture Chamber.”

Open hours and price

Castle Island

Daily from 9 to 19

Free of charge

Museum

Tuesday – Sunday from 10 to 18 (ticket office till 17.15)

Ticket price 700 rubles

Day off – Monday

Interactive expositions

Ticket price 800 rubles

How to get to the Vyborg Castle

120 km from St. Petersburg

By bus

  1. Bus №850 (to Vyborg) from the metro station “Parnas”
  2. Bus №810 (to Svetlogorsk) from the metro station “Devyatkino”

Schedule from St.Petersburg to Vyborg

Schedule from Vyborg to St. Petersburg

By local train from Finlyandskiy station

Schedule from St.Petersburg to Vyborg

Schedule from Vyborg to St. Petersburg

The Vyborg Castle is located:

  • in 1.6 km from Vyborg Bus Station
  • in 1.7 km from Vyborg Train Station

Links

Vyborg Castle website in the Russian language

PHOTO depositphotos.com

Leave a Reply