architecture

Hypatian Monastery (Свято-Троицкий Ипатьевский мужской монастырь)

The Hypatian Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Russia. The monastery is located in a picturesque place in Kostroma in the Kostroma river confluence to the Volga.

Ipatiev Monastery, Kostroma, Russia

It is considered that the monastery was established in 1330, or at the close of the XII century. Tartar prince Chet, the influential nobleman in the Golden Horde, had played a significant role in monastery rising.

According to the legend, Chet having a rest here on the way to Moscow had an apparition of Virgin Mother with Philip the Apostle, and priestly martyr Hypatius of Gangra.

The monastery built in this place had got the name after Hypatius, Bishop of Gangra, who lived in the III-IV centuries.

The Hypatian lodging was small and little-known the first 200 years of existing. From the middle of the XVI century, the monastery came in sight of Tsar, in that time the stone walls, towers, and constructions were built up. By the XVII century, the Hypatian Monastery became the one of the richest in Russia thank the monks care and numerous donations.

In the XVII century, it was laid the foundation of Time of Troubles conclusion which threatened to destroy the Russian state. In 1613 the monastery helped to hide Michael Romanov who became the first Tsar of the House of Romanov. Since that time the monastery had got the name “the birthplace of the House of Romanov.” The dynasty of Romanov ruled over Russia 300 years till 1918.

The prosperity of the Hypatian Monastery began to go down in the XVIII century. The bells were sent to Moscow to recasting for military purposes; the State treasury confiscated the large part of donates, and the Monastery adopted as a place of exile.

The monastery was closed in 1918 as the large part of the religious institutions in the country; the valuable assets were exempted. The buildings of the monastery made into the accommodation for the working men; there is the Antireligious Museum in the Nativity Church (to the 1930th the church was destroyed).

The Soviet government recognized the historical value of the monastery in the 1950th, so the territory was modified to historical and architectural museum-reserve.

In 2004 the monastery was turned back to the Eastern Orthodox Church, now it is the active monastery. The museum of the monastery history and the House of Romanov is opened in the monastery territory.

Open hours and price

The territory of the monastery is free of charge

Museum

From May,1st to September, 30th

Daily from 9 to 17.30

From October, 1st to April, 30th

Daily from 10 to 17

Day off –January, 1st

How to get to the Hypatian Monastery

Kostroma, Prosveshchenia Ulitsa, 1

In the Russian language – Кострома, ул. Просвещения, 1

Links

Hypatian Monastery website in the Russian language

We recommend visiting nearby

The Kostroma Settlement, the Architectural, Ethnographic, and Landscape Museum – 0.85 km walking

PHOTO depositphotos.com

1 reply »

Leave a Reply