national park

National Park Kislovodskiy (Национальный парк Кисловодский)

The Kislovodskiy National Park is situated on the territory of the Kislovodsk city and covers an area of 965.79 hectares. It is one of the oldest protected nature areas in the south of Russia.

national park kislovodskiy.jpg

The park was founded in 1823 when Prince Mikhail Vorontsov ordered to bring and plant seedlings of trees and bushes there, as well as seeds of the best plants from Crimea, Georgia, Western Ukraine, the North Caucasus and the Baltic States.

The Caucasian and balsamic fir trees, oaks, ash trees, Eastern and European spruce were planted on the bare slope in 1903, in the Middle Park (Средний парк).

 In the Soviet period, the Mountain Park (Горный парк) was founded. The squirrels were brought here from Kyrgyzstan in 1973, they are not afraid of tourists and willingly contact them in exchange for food.

In 2016, by order of the Government of the Russian Federation, the Kislovodsk nature protection zone was granted the status of a national park.

The sights of Kislovodsk National Park

There are interesting architectural and natural attractions in the park.

“Temple of Air” (“Храм воздуха”)

This small building in the neoclassical style was built in the early 20th century in the Middle Park. In the middle of the 1980s, the temple was closed to tourists, as it became dangerous due to the dilapidated state of the building. However, in 2015 it was restored, and now the Temple of the Air is one of the Kislovodsk National Park adornments.

Multi-colored sandstones (Разноцветные песчаники)

These natural attractions are the tops of sandstone rocks which have various colors. In the Lower Park (Нижний парк), there is an unusual bas-relief of Vladimir Lenin is carved on Red Stones.

An architectural ensemble of the Mirror Pond (Зеркальный пруд)

The pond was created in the 1860s. It is made from a thick limestone and filled from the Semigradusniy spring which has fresh water. For a long time, the reservoir was used by local residents as a source of drinking water. In the late 19th century, an arbor with Gothic style features called “Silver Stream” was built over the spring and decorated with beautiful stained-glass windows. Water from the pond flows through several ponds, in which the stone sculptures of children “splash”. According to an old tradition, tourists throw coins into the Mirror Pond to return to Kislovodsk.

Narzan gallery (Нарзанная галерея)

Kislovodsk National Park begins with this building, which is one of the oldest in the city. Its length is 130 meters and it was built in English pseudo-Gothic style. On the western side of the gallery there is a fountain “Frog”, and on the eastern side, there is the Lermontov square, where a monument to the Russian poet Mikhail Lermontov was installed. Below him, there is a small grotto with a sculpture of Demon from the Lermontov’s famous poem.

The entrance to the Kislovodsk National Park is free. In the nearest future, electric vehicles are going to be used on its territory.  They will quietly move along the roads, without stopping on paths for walking. It is forbidden to leave garbage, pick flowers, and make a fire and damage flora and fauna in the park.

How to get to the National Park Kislovodskiy

21, Kurortny Bulvar, Kislovodsk, Stavropol Territory

In the Russian language – Ставропольский край, Кисловодск, Курортный бульвар, 21

Links

The National Park Kislovodskiy website in the Russian language

We recommend visiting nearby

Literary and Musical Museum Dacha of Feodor Chaliapin – 0.5 km walk.

PHOTO depositphotos.com

1 reply »

Leave a Reply